Browse | Create Account | Sign In
Movies & Television | Characters | Message Boards
Browse

Kickboxer (1989)

Started by Chucky, March 29, 2018, 07:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chucky

Kickboxer is a great martial arts revenge flick. It has cheesy 80's songs, a campy lead actor, but also has some heart to go along with entertaining fights and training sequences.

Are you a fan of this movie?

Jigsaw

When it comes to non-horror movies, I am woefully inadequate.

That said, somewhat ironically, this flick, along with Bloodsport, have always sort of been in the back of my mind to check out. Not sure when I ever will, but the thought is there.

Crash Dummie

Terrible, terrible movie, but I love it. It's such a bad take on the Rocky/Karate Kid formula, and most of the fun, in my eyes, is that I'm not sure if the film makers and Van Damme knew how dumb the whole think actually was while they were making it.

The dancing scene for instance, are they taking the piss, or is it a genuine attempt at good comedy?

Anyway, the only part of the movie that actually works as intended is the mood they set up for the last fight. The dingy arena and the gloves lined with glue and broken glass give you this feeling that shit is about to go down. Feeling that is promptly ruined when the fight itself is as dumb as the rest of the movie and they don't ever really touch each other with the gloves.

Chucky

Hey, you should watch Kickboxer 2 then. It's very different.  [*winkgrin*]

The guy that played Tong Po in Kickboxer 1 and 2 is a very nice guy, and as I said before, not asian in the slightest as seen below.

Crash Dummie