NEWS    FIGHTS    MOVIES    ARTICLES    FEATURES    FORUM    LINKS    CONTACT

DISCUSSION FORUM
+  Fight Evil
|-+  Movies
| |-+  Non-Horror
| | |-+  M. Night Shyamalan Films and The Last Airbender (2010)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: M. Night Shyamalan Films and The Last Airbender (2010)  (Read 6079 times)
JasonzSon

The Man in Black

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2010, 03:06:59 AM »

On July 2nd, M. Night Shyamalan releases his latest film, The Last Airbender.  Between all of the people I know who love this show and would be made very happy if I watch it, my general interest in animé, and my interest in the trailer, I’ve decided to give this film the best possible review coverage that I can.  Regular readers of my site have noticed that I’ve been doing a running commentary as I watch through the Avatar cartoon series. (I will be posting this here once I complete the series.)

In addition to the cartoon commentary, in preparation of my review for the new movie, I’ve been watching a Marathon of M. Night Shyamalan movies.  While I don’t have access to all of his films, I do have access to all of his well known ones.  Starting yesterday and ending with my The Last Airbender review, I will be reviewing each of these films.

Since it's a ghost story, I've posted my Sixth Sense review on the front page here: The Sixth Sense is considered one of the 21st  century’s classic movies.  It certainly does not hurt that when it was released in 1999, my peers and I were ten years old. The Sixth Sense was a new take on the classic ghost story- not only is the world full of ghosts, but only a select few can see them.  The member of that “few” that we focus on is Cole Sear, played by Haley Joel Osment, and Child Psychriatrist Malcolm Crowe, played by Bruce Willis.  How does this movie really stand up to the test of time?

DeraiLer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:59:45 PM »

I am frankly stunned they chose him to direct this as I thought he was more of a mystery movie guy. Not sure what made him the ideal candidate for an FX laden blockbuster actioner. 

JasonzSon

The Man in Black

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:07:40 PM »

Better than Michael Bay.

WesCraven

Seriously, I was wasted when I directed "Cursed"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:26:10 PM »

I am frankly stunned they chose him to direct this as I thought he was more of a mystery movie guy. Not sure what made him the ideal candidate for an FX laden blockbuster actioner. 

My only guess is that Shyamalan likes the source material and wanted to do it. However, this is merely a guess.

DeraiLer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 08:52:40 PM »

Not knocking that he is the director for this, just cannot see how? You may be right and he is a huge Avatar fan.

Better than Michael Bay.

Point taken.

JasonzSon

The Man in Black

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 03:01:15 PM »

M. Night Marathon – Unbreakable (2000)

Welcome back to the Shyamalalanathon.  If you missed it, check out my first M. Night review of The Sixth Sense, the movie that cemented M. Night Shyamalan’s place in movie history and pop culture, here.  Join me for the coming weeks as we prepare for the July 2nd release and July 5 review of the film adaptation of The Last Airbender.

Unbreakable is about a set of stories in two distinct time periods about two very different individuals: A security guard who may be impervious to injury and an art exhibitor who may be unable to avoid it.  When these two meet, the world of Spiderman and Captain America may overlap with the real world of relationship drama.  Which one of these movie types will triumph in this thrilling battle? Continue reading ‘M. Night Marathon – Unbreakable (2000)'

DeraiLer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 02:54:50 AM »

I once read someone claiming this is more of a superhero movie than a thriller. After watching it I kinda agree. It is just a very realistic one that has no action going on. Maybe if there had been a sequel, he would have a cape.

Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 03:12:18 AM »

Yeah, that is what I had always heard too, and that water was his kryptonite. I only really saw that movie once, and that that it wasn't really anything special... maybe I should give it a re-watch one of these days.

JasonzSon

The Man in Black

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 04:20:57 AM »

Not sure if this alien invasion story is really "horror" enough for FE.  If I get a request I'll post it here, if not it'll stay at the link below:

M. Night Marathon – Signs (2002)

Welcome to Part 3 of the Man in Black Reviews M. Night Shyamalonathon, my version of a countdown to the coming release of The Last Airbender. If you missed them, the first two parts can be found here and here. For new and returning readers, welcome to the Man in Black Review of Signs, the first Shyamalan movie I ever saw growing up and (up to this point in the Marathon) my favorite film of his.

Mel Gibson is a former reverend living with his three kids- I mean, his brother, son, and daughter. Presumably, the family from Home Alone is involved in there somewhere as well. When Mel Gibson comes across crop circles on his farm, neither the police nor the standard culprits can offer any explanation- until reports from across national borders start to come in. The crop circles have become an international issue, and more than that, they are a threat.

Continue reading ‘M. Night Marathon – Signs (2002)’

Crash Dummie

Friday the 8-bit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 02:23:17 AM »

I once read someone claiming this is more of a superhero movie than a thriller. After watching it I kinda agree. It is just a very realistic one that has no action going on. Maybe if there had been a sequel, he would have a cape.
It's actually my favorite M. Night movie, despite the awful ending.

Check out the latest comics or Crash Smash!
And buy the shirts too!
WesCraven

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 08:30:10 AM »

I didn't realize that people thought it wasn't a superhero movie. I mean look at Sam Jackson's character - I really think it's quite obvious....

JasonzSon

The Man in Black

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 01:05:24 AM »

M. Night Marathon – The Village (2004)
    By The Man in Black

The Shyamalanathon is back, with a vengeance. For those of you who don’t know, in preparation of the release of The Last Airbender on July 1st, Man in Black Reviews is taking a look at each of M. Night Shyamalan’s major motion pictures. Today we look at the movie that brought his reputation crashing down- The Village.

Merril from Signs wants to leave his quaint village to buy medicine for the people of the village. One problem- a pack of roving creatures spoken of only as Those We Don’t Speak Of has a problem with any humans coming into the woods, which effectively isolates the village completely. But when lives depend on it, one person must brave the wrath of the creatures to bring back medicine that may mean the future of The Village. Continue reading ‘M. Night Marathon – The Village (2004)’

JasonzSon

The Man in Black

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 11:15:22 AM »

To hold you over until the official review on July 6th, MIBR has created a teaser trailer of the coming The Last Airbender Man in Black review!  Be sure to check it out, and keep an eye out for the whole thing tomorrow!

WesCraven

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 11:50:42 AM »

"The Last Airbender" was Shyamalan's first movie that I didn't care for....

oh well....

Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 02:16:59 AM »

I have to say,  this movie was a big let down... I know it is trying to base itself off an entire season, but it felt really rushed. Not to mention the kid actors are horrible, and the adults weren't much better... I think the only one who did half decent was Dev Patel, and even then.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Join Our Communities

This site contains language and images which may not be suitable for persons under the age of 18
All promotional art & images used on this site are copyrighted by their respective owners